What can I do after my procedure?
- Resume a regular diet and activity as tolerated.
- Take prescribed medications as directed by Dr. Howley.
- Use cool gel packs or frozen peas on neck for 24 hours after surgery to reduce swelling.
- Post-op appointment will be 1-3 days following surgery.
- Elevate head of bed 30 degrees until swelling subsides.
- Bathe, keeping bandages dry and intact.
- Cleanse face and neck using a warm washcloth with SkinCeuticals Gentle Cleanser and wiping gently around incision areas followed by 3-4 drops of SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic Serum to face and neck in the morning.
- Leave bandages in place until your post-op appointment.
- Sutures are usually removed between 7-10 days after surgery.
- Shower and wash hair after your first post-op appointment; a hair dryer with no heat may be used.
- Do not submerge face and neck in water for approximately 4 weeks.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 4 weeks, i.e., heavy lifting, running.
What to Expect after Surgery:
- You will have a dressing covering most of the outside of your face and neck; this is kept on for 24 hours, and up to 3 days.
- You can also start taking your pain medication, but be sure that you don’t take so much medication that you become drowsy.
- Sleep on your back with your head slightly elevated and continue this every night until swelling subsides.
You may experience one or more of the following:
- Swelling of face, ears, and chin
- Numbness of face, ears, and chin
- Skin tightness
- Minimal to moderate pain controlled by prescribed analgesic
- Light burning sensation around the ears
You will see your surgeon and nurses 1 to 3 days post surgery. At this visit your dressing will be removed. You also will be provided with products and instructions for your customized SkinCeuticals facial care regime.
Following your initial visit, cleanse your neck and face using a warm washcloth and wiping gently around incision areas as instructed by our nurse.
Sutures are usually removed between 7-10 days after surgery.
Our on-site Clinical Aesthetician will be assisting and serving you throughout the process: DERMAK Aesthetics.
It is very important NOT to take your prescribed medication and any other type of pain medication at the same time.
Always check with your pharmacist to make sure taking Tylenol will not interfere with any of the medications you are taking.
Advil or any other type of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications are not recommended for the first 7 days after surgery.
Please contact our office if you experience any of the following:
Severe nausea caused by pain medication
Allergic reaction to your antibiotic
For all surgeries, we see patients on the following schedule:
- 1 week with nurse
- 6 weeks with nurse and Dr. Howley
- 6 months with nurse for after pictures
- Whenever needed
If you experience any of these symptoms after office hours or over the weekend, please call (506)853-5164 and leave us a message and then present yourself to the nearest emergency room.