What can I expect after the surgery?
- Discomfort for the first few days
- Some numbness of the skin, this is normal and temporary
- Minimal bruising and swelling
Do I have to use specific products after surgery?
Cleanse face and neck using a warm washcloth with SkinCeuticals Gentle Cleanser and wiping gently around incision areas morning and night followed by 3-4 drops of SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic Serum to face and neck in the morning.
Our health care professionals have customized a skin care regime by Skin Ceuticals. More products and instructions will be provided at your initial post-operative visit.
What medication will I be prescribed after surgery?
- Pain medication.
- We highly recommend taking over the counter stool softener to prevent irregularities in your bowel routine.
- We recommend Natural Tears or other moisturizing eye drops if you experience dry eyes.
*Always check with your pharmacist to make sure taking Tylenol will not interfere with any of the prescribed medications.
*Advil and any other type of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications is not recommended for the first 7 days after surgery.
Our on-site Clinical Aesthetician will be assisting and serving you throughout the process: DERMAK Aesthetics.
When can I shower?
- You may shower the day of your surgery.
- Use a gentle cloth and your SkinCeuticals Gentle Cleanser for the first few days.
- If you have had a brow lift, we recommend you wait until after you have seen your nurse to wash your hair.
- Drying your hair is permitted once incisions are healed.
- We recommend against makeup for the first week after surgery.
Will I have dressings?
If you have had a blepharoplasty you will have steri-strips. These will be removed 7-10 days after surgery. If the strips fall off, that is ok; if you see the blue suture string coming loose, apply more tape.
With a brow lift there will be sutures to be removed 7-10 days after surgery.
What can I do to help the healing process?
- Eat a healthy diet full of vitamins, minerals, and proteins.
- Drink 2-4L of water every day.
- We strongly recommend you quit smoking before surgery.
How can I promote optimal healing of my incision?
After your first follow-up appointment (7 to 10 days after surgery) we will encourage you to massage your incision with scar recovery gel. This advanced formula scar gel will help abnormal or excessive scar formation. Daily massaging of your incision is necessary to help soften the scar tissue.
What am I allowed to do after surgery?
- No strenuous work or heavy lifting for the first 2 weeks after surgery
- We encourage you to be mobile after your surgery; do not stay stationary.
- Driving is permitted if you are not taking any medication that could affect your alertness and you feel that you are able to drive safely and comfortably.
- We recommend that you sleep with your head elevated (30 degrees) for the first week after surgery.
It is important to listen to your body, it will let you know when you are doing too much.
Lower blepharoplasty only
You will be prescribed eye ointment. Use as directed to prevent infection.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact our nurse.
When do I return for follow-up care?
- 1 week with nurse
- 6 weeks with nurse and Dr. Howley
- 6 months with nurse for after pictures
- Whenever needed
Please contact our office if you experience any of the following:
- Double vision, blurry vision, any kind of vision change
- If you have significant swelling resulting in difficulty opening your eyes
- Severe pain in the back of your eye
**If you experience any of these symptoms after office hours or over the weekend, please call and leave us a message (so we are aware.)